Earth Day Tips | SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview
Earth day is Aprill 22nd, 2021 and we can all lend a helping hand to be part of a positive change. Climate change has a large impact on many aspects of our lives, including damage to our homes, more expensive home insurance, unbearable outside working conditions, higher electric bills, allergies and health risks, poor water quality, and more! We have listed ways easy ways to become “greener” and help our beautiful planet.
- Use your diet to help climate change. Try participating in meatless Mondays.
- Try a foodprint calculator to find out exactly how your meals impact the planet.
- It’s time to start plogging aka picking up trash while jogging! This is a fun and effective way to get a workout in while cleaning the community.
- Change your paper bills to online billing.
- Convince your school district or office building to choose reusable utensils, trays, and dishes in the cafeteria.
- Help protect pollinators by going pesticide-free! We need pollinators to ensure the persistence of our crop yields and ensure healthy sustainable ecosystems now and in the future.
- Buy organic food to keep your body and the environment free of toxic pesticides
- Buy local food to reduce the distance from farm to fork. Buy straight from the farm, frequent your local farmers’ market, or join a local food co-op.
- Use a reusable water bottle to make a big impact on your plastic consumption.
- Avoid single-use plastic items, and if possible, buy products in glass or paper. Glass products are easily reused, and paper is a much friendlier product to the environment.
- Donate your old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out. When you need something, consider buying used items.
- Always read labels! Use environmentally friendly, non-toxic cleaning products to avoid washing toxic chemicals down the drain!
- Take a shorter shower and use a water-saving shower head.
- Save electricity and turn off lights when you leave the room.
- Use long-lasting light bulbs and flip the light switch off when you leave the room.
- Bike more. Drive less.
- Use cloth towels instead of paper towels.
- Stop idling in your car.
- Invest in a rainwater collection system. There's so much you can use this non-drinking water for — like cleaning or watering plants.
- Take the steps instead of the elevator.
- Use paper, metal, or glass straws instead of plastic straws.
- Unsubscribe from junk mail.
- Make your yard creature friendly with bird feeders, birdhouses, and birdbaths.
Here are SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview, we do everything we can to be environmentally friendly and help save the planet. Let us know how you plan to pledge to be greener this Earth Day and every day!
Why a Dehumidifier Is Great for Your North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview Home
When cleaning up water damage, commercial-grade dehumidifiers are excellent for sucking excess moisture from the air, helping to dry out the area and prevent further damage. While extraction of the standing water takes first priority, dehumidification prevents a variety of further problems such as improving air quality and reducing mold growth. If you don’t already have a dehumidifier, here are some benefits of why you should get one.
- Overly moist air is susceptible to catching a variety of airborne particles, contaminating your air. This could include dust, dead skin cells, and mold spores. Dehumidification reduces the number of particles in the air, making it easier and better for breathing.
- Reducing moisture and maintain cleaner air is one of the best ways to prevent mold growth in your home. Mold grows by finding a damp, wet environment and then releases spores into the air which spread throughout your home until they find another surface to grow on. One of the reasons we at SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview dehumidify areas that have been affected by water loss is to reduce the chance of mold growth.
- A less humid environment in your home means clothing will dry faster, pieces of bread and cereals will remain fresh longer without getting stale, and you won’t find signs of rust or corrosion on things like computer equipment, electronics, and tools.
- A dehumidifier also lowers energy costs because it helps your air conditioner run more efficiently. When the air in your home is more humid, the A/C must do the function of cooling the air and removing moisture, which means it has to work harder. This also causes your A/C to wear out sooner, which means you will need to replace and repair it more often.
Better To Be Prepared!
Keep you home and possessions safe this hurricane season! Your local SERVPRO has put together a handy list check list for you this season!
SECURE YOUR HOUSE DOORS: Add bolts at the top and bottom of your doors. Strong winds can easily rip doors off hinges. It is also a good idea to calk doors to prevent rain from getting in.
STORM PROOF YOUR WINDOWS: Living in Louisiana storm shutters are a key asset when trying to defend your home of a hurricane. However, old fashion plywood will do the trick as well, keep in mind it should be at least 5/8 inches thick. Caulking the cracks around your windows will also prevent heavy rains from getting inside your home and decreases the chances of moisture damage.
STRAP DOWN YOUR ROOF: Hurricane straps and clamps are handy little tools to insure you that your roof is fastened to the frame.
SECURE OUTDOOR YARD ITEMS: Find a safe place such a garage or shed to store all of your patio furniture, grill, and lawn decor. Make sure no lose items are left to be blown through a window.
SAFETY PROOF YOUR LANDSCAPING: Lastly, trim trees and bushes to minimalism debris. Tie down smaller trees and shrubs, and move all potted plants indoors.