Funky Smells In Your Home After Ida?
The water damage from Hurricane Ida in your North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview home often comes with odors and mold growth that can be hard to find. If you suspect you have mold but don't see any growth, we recommend finding an industrial hygienist who can find out what mold may or may not be in your home. Other measures you can take to help with the funk are below:
Air It Out
Open all doors and windows to allow air to circulate in your residence. This should help dissipate any lingering smells that remain and will also facilitate the drying of the affected areas.
Dry the Wet Areas
You may install dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process. Removing moisture from porous and absorbent surfaces such as carpet and upholstery can greatly reduce the chance of foul aromas remaining after the flood and can mitigate the appearance of mold.
Deodorize Your Home
There are natural methods that you can utilize to expedite the deodorizing process in your house. Baking soda sprinkled into carpets or other absorbent surfaces can be vacuumed up, greatly with getting rid of foul odors. On less porous surfaces, vinegar applied liberally can aid in combating persistent smells.
Keep an Eye Out for Mold
As with any area that has had prolonged exposure to moisture, mold growth can be a threat that, if not addressed immediately can become a huge problem. It is imperative that proper steps are taken to ensure that mold and spores do not have the opportunity to spread in your home.
Sewage loss can lead to your home being contaminated by sewage contents when floodwater finds its way past your threshold. This can leave behind an overpowering smell even after the moisture has been removed due to the bacteria in the water. These horrendous smells often cannot be removed by household cleaners and require the services of a professional flood restoration company.
Eliminating odors can be a tricky thing, so give us a call at (504) 468-3046 and leave the restoration to us!
How Your Dryer Can Cause a Fire In Your Kenner Home
SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview responds to fire damage emergencies throughout the year in the Greater New Orleans Area. Even small, contained dryer or washing machine fires can cause lots of smoke and soot damage to the rest of the house. Here are some clothes dryer fire statistics from the US Fire Administration:
- 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.
- Failure to clean the dryer (34 percent) is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires.
- More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.
How to prevent a dryer fire?
- Keep your ventilation system clear.
- Empty your lint screen EACH time you do laundry.
- Hang dry any clothing materials that may have substances like gas or oil on them.
- Never run the dryer if you aren't going to be home.
- Inspect the venting system behind the dryer to ensure it is not damaged or restricted.
- Put a covering on outside wall dampers to keep out rain and dirt.
- Make sure the outdoor vent covering opens when the dryer is on.
- Replace coiled-wire foil or plastic venting with a rigid, non-ribbed metal duct.
SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview has a team of highly trained technicians on-call 24-hours a day to respond to fire damage emergencies in Kenner and the GNO area. Call us today at (504) 468-3046. We’ll restore your fire damage, “Like it never even happened.”
Using a Generator? Follow These Tips!
Between hurricane Ida and the active hurricane season Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview has, portable generator are a must. Many people turn to a portable generator for a temporary solution without knowing the risks.
Check out our best safety tips here:
- Generators should be used in well-ventilated locations outside at least 5 feet away from all doors, windows, and vent openings. Measure the 5-foot distance from the generator exhaust system to the building.
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
- Place generators so that exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building. The exhaust must be directed away from the building.
- Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is hot.
- Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.
- When plugging in appliances, make sure they are plugged directly into the generator or a heavy-duty outdoor-rated extension cord. The cords should be checked for cuts, tears and that the plug has all three prongs, especially a grounding pin.
For any storm or fire-related damages, we are a locally owned and operated company ready to help our local residents. Please do not hesitate to reach out.
Business Impacted by Hurricane Ida? Here's What To Do.
Most business owners in our areas are aware of basic steps that should be taken before a hurricane, such as maintaining a preparedness plan, backing up computer files, and keeping a store of emergency materials. Some even develop plans for contacting employees. To keep the business flow as continuous as possible, managers need to know what to do just after the storm. By following the steps below, you can return to normal operations in no time.
1. Contact Your Insurance Provider
Begin the claim filing process for any major damages as soon as possible. More details on the damages later, but the sooner you start, the better.
2. Wear Safety Gear
It is important to take the proper safety precautions if you are going to visit your property post-hurricane.
3. Document the Damage
As you assess the scope of the damage, remember to take pictures of any damage you see and to make detailed notes for your insurance claim and company records. *The photos you took before the storm will come in handy now!*
4. Salvage What You Can
Attempt to remove any debris that you can. Remember, buildings can be structurally unsafe so it is wise to only do as much as you know won't cause further damage to yourself or the property.
5. Find the Right Professional Help
Our Flood damage restoration experts know how to tackle jobs of all sizes and get your business back in shape quickly. We can guide you through the entire restoration process and have proven experience helping businesses recover after hurricane flood damage. We make it "Like it never even happened."
In the event you need to crowdsource to pay for any damages outside of insurance coverage, here are some ideas!
- State and federal aid
- Disaster relief organizations
- Local resources
- Bank loans
- Private funding
Can Hardwood Floors Be Restored After North Kenner Water Damage?
SERVPRO Delivers All Types of Wet Flooring Mitigation and Remediation Options
When your beautiful hardwood floors flood after a plumbing leak, appliance malfunction, or storm event in North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview, you might fear that tear-out and replacement is the only solution. Our Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)-trained managers and technicians have learned many strategies to remove water and dry the hardwood carefully, often resulting in a return to the previous condition over the whole or most of the floor.
What Procedures Do Professional Water Restorers Follow with Wet Hardwood?
Genuine hardwood flooring is more resilient than you might think. Its natural resistance to moisture makes it a great type of flooring to be able to be salvaged.
Our North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview SERVPRO crews will:
- Assess for hazards
- Adjust the conditions to proceed safely
- Remove standing water with pumps and extractors, assisted by squeegees.
- Use negative pressure moisture suction methods such as floor mats to pull water from several layers.
- Consider removing some strips or planks to gain access for water removal and drying.
- Use moisture detectors and meters (both in the damaged area and in an affected space) to determine the damage’s extent and help set drying goals.
- Devise and implement a drying plan
We understand how stressful it is to have your home have water damage. Have the confidence that SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview can return your hardwood floors and home to its original condition. Call us at (504) 468-3046 any time of the day or night.
Your Local Storm Pros!
Our SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview Rapid Response Team Can Help You With Storm Damage In Your Property
Even though storm season is wrapping up rather quickly, a nearby road overflow can cause significant issues in the ground levels of your property. Heavy rainfall results in sewer systems backing up and overflowing with contaminated Black Water. Due to the potentially harmful effects of Black Water, it is essential to hire a professional, qualified technician to help repair and restore your property safely. Indeed, many of your possessions can be salvaged by using professional cleaning equipment promptly.
Where there is Flood Damage in SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview homes, the likelihood of contaminants being spread around the home is high. In the circumstances, it is not uncommon for our technicians to wear Hazmat suits to protect themselves from pathogens during the cleanup operation. We may also have to remove sections of drywall to clean in and behind walls, floors, and fittings. Left behind debris is not only odorous but has the potential to be harmful if not dealt with thoroughly.
For owners who find themselves in this position, it is only natural to immediately assume the worst, especially where personal possessions are concerned. Here at SERVPRO®of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview we always work with a restore over replace mentality. Unlike other providers, our services are geared toward salvaging as much as possible. We enable our technicians to achieve this by providing them with state-of-the-art cleaning equipment and technology.
We can assess items immediately on-site to decide which possessions are salvageable and which need disposal. Generally speaking, porous materials absorb black water making them exceptionally difficult to clean; this could include your carpets or curtains. However, where they are valuable fabrics, we can send them to a specialized facility for mechanical cleaning using Esporta washing machines. This equipment is expensive because they are advanced. However, SERVPRO®of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview provides technicians with everything they need to restore items rather than replace them.
Floods are considerable emergencies which is why SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview's training involves a rapid-response unit as well as a 24-hour emergency call line. Our skilled specialists are local to the area and can reach you fast to help mitigate loss and reduce the risk of permanent damage.
In an emergency, contact SERVPRO® of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview at (504) 468-3046 for immediate assistance.
3 Ways to Avoid Cigarette Fires in Your North Kenner Home
Cigarettes are a common cause of fire even though these fires are easily preventable. Here are three ways to prevent a cigarette fire.
1. Smoke outside. Most cigarette fires start when a smoker falls asleep. Bedrooms and couches are the most common places for cigarette fires to break out. Keep in mind that the same risks apply to smoking on a screened-in porch or a deck with furniture. It is best to smoke away from the house in an outdoor chair. You may be less likely to get comfortable enough to fall asleep outside with a lit cigarette.
2. Use stable, enclosed ashtrays. An ashtray fire is a common type of cigarette fire. This type of blaze can occur if a pet knocks over an ashtray that contains smoldering butts or if burning butts get blown out of the ashtray onto combustible materials outdoors. Choose an ashtray that is hard to knock over, and that is enclosed.
3. Completely extinguish cigarettes. If you do not put out the burning end of a cigarette, you will greatly increase a fire risk inside or outside of your home. Take an extra moment to make sure that your cigarette is completely extinguished before leaving the area. Some ashtrays feature sand or other materials that can help to ensure that the ends of cigarettes are no longer burning. This is the most important step in preventing fires whether you choose to smoke indoors or outdoors.
These are three simple and effective ways to prevent fires caused by cigarettes in or around your home. If a cigarette fire does break out, and your home sustains damage, contact North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview's premier fire damage, experts!
Why Do Kenner Residents Trust SERVPRO for Mold Remediation of Their Homes?
SERVPRO is the Industry Leader When It Comes to Safe and Effective Mold Remediation in North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview
Effective mold remediation of your North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview home involves a protocol that trained professionals develop. Our experts follow the proper safety protocols during the restoration process.
SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeviewfollows the guidelines set forth by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) as we complete the mold remediation process. Our goal is to ensure that the mold damage is mitigated as fast as possible without spreading it to unaffected areas during mold inspections, remediations, and removal.
To help prevent mold from returning always correct conditions causing mold growth (e.g., water leaks, condensation, infiltration, or flooding) to prevent mold growth.
Inside your home, you can control mold growth by:
- Controlling humidity levels;
- Promptly fixing leaky roofs, windows, and pipes;
- Thoroughly cleaning and drying after flooding;
- Ventilating shower, laundry, and cooking areas.
Should you discover mold on your property, call SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview at (504) 468-3046; we are available 24/7 to help you.
Eliminating Moisture Avoids Mold After a Flood
El Paso water damage can take your home by storm, let SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview help.
North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview can experience storms and floods throughout the year. Local residents rely on SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview to be responsive to remove floodwater, debris, and any damaged materials from your property.
SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview has been on-site for many man-made and nature-made floods. We constantly have equipment ready to be able to respond to these types of emergencies. We know just how damaging flood water can be to your home, your home’s contents, and that is why we have a rapid response team.
orth Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview has conditions that allow for mold growth when there is moisture present. SERVPRO removes damaged material along with any standing water present. There are a few categories of water, and SERVPRO knows how to deal with all of them. Some materials retain more water than others or the area is harder to reach. We are able to check on moisture levels with high-tech equipment that we have to ensure complete dryness. Our equipment includes thermal imaging cameras which can show what areas are still holding moisture even if they appear to be dry.
Call SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan & Lakeview (504) 468-3046 for 24/7 service. We proudly serve West El Paso and the surrounding areas. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Can My Hotel Carpets Be Restored After a Pipe Burst?
Don't let water damage close your hotel. SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview has the know-how to quickly remediate the damage.
SERVPRO Can Efficiently Remove Water from Your Kenner Hotel
Being next to the airport, Kenner is home to many hotels providing luxurious rooms to travelers and those on vacation. If water damage from burst pipes impacts your hotel carpets, you need water mitigation quickly. You want as little as possible disruption to your guests coming in and out of the hotel. The last thing you want is guests writing bad reviews because of water issues.
How Do You Restore Carpeting After Water Damage?
More than just your carpets get impacted by water intrusion in your hotel. Hallways, staircases, and wooden structures such as the service desk can be damaged. Water restoration in Kenner involving carpets begins with the right water extraction process. The proper extraction tools can remove water faster than drying alone. SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview has trained water restoration technicians (WRT) who precisely know what is needed to restore your carpets.
Stationary Extraction Tools
While moving extraction tools help certain types of materials, they are not always the best thing for plush carpets. Stationary extraction methods involve using the technician's weight to apply downward pressure and push the water to the surface. The water then gets pulled through a vacuum system attached to the device. Our largest stationary units can cover 200 square inches at one time. Other extraction methods our WRT techs can use include:
- Portable or truck-mounted units
- Carpet wands
- Self-propelled extraction tools
Once the water gets extracted from your carpet and padding, the drying process begins. We use industrial-strength air movers and dehumidifiers in the correct ratio for optimum drying power. Our teams work quickly and efficiently to get the job done. You want to get back to business as soon as possible, and we want that too.
For any commercial water damage needs, SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview is here with a team of trained professionals; We're Faster To Any Size Disaster. Contact SERVPRO of North Kenner, Harahan, & Lakeview at (504) 468-3046 for expert water restoration service.
Leaving Your Hotel "Like it never even happened."